Scaled fundraising, volunteers and services with the help of Salesforce
Made in Hackney is a Community Cookery School and Charity that was established to help people lead healthier, happier, more connected, environmentally sustainable lives.. They run community cooking classes to give local community groups the skills they need to grow, cook and preserve food that’s good for the health of people and the planet. To support their charitable activities they also conduct masterclasses and run food education events.
When Covid -19 happened, they pivoted all their face to face cookery classes and events to provide an emergency meal delivery service to Hackney residents with over 500 meals delivered per day at the height of the crisis.
When Made in Hackney approached Economic Change, they had all their data sitting in extensive excel and google spreadsheets. Due to the nature of the funding they received and the type of operations they run, there was a huge amount of data being collected about their beneficiaries and clients. In addition, a large portion of their activities was only possible through the support of volunteers and there needed to be a more structured method of recruiting and managing the time of these people.
Brand support from companies was also a significant part of their day to day operations but there was no way to track what product donations had been given.
Reporting on all these areas was crucial as was improving on general data collection as the time spent collecting this information could be better spent in delivery. Because many different groups were being engaged with in a variety of ways, a concrete data structure needed to be built up to allow for accurate segmentation of data, that was not too complex
- Contact Management – Contacts we segmented and Contacts and Accounts were customised to track the different groups of people that MIH worked with on a regular basis.
- Event Management – Campaign hierarchies and campaign member structure were developed to allow for registration and attendance at events.
- Applications and Registrations – Online forms were set up and used to collect data ranging from volunteer and teacher applications, job applications, event sign ups to feedback forms and this was tracked directly back into salesforce to save on administration time.
- Volunteer Management – Volunteers and those people who were paid to deliver sessions were managed using Volunteers for Salesforce.
- Fundraising – An improved data structure and organisational reporting made applications for funding significantly more successful and showed that Made in Hackney had the industry knowledge and community contacts to implement effective programmes.
- Programme Delivery – The Salesforce system also continues to allow MIH to coordinate the delivery of 150 meals a day and preference tracking and feedback information is all held within Salesforce.
- Training – They have also accessed Economic Change Admin Training which has given the MIH team in house knowledge to support the use and growth of their Salesforce system.
- Sales Management– MIH has plans to develop the Sales side of their operations and are looking at how to use their system to support this
- Enthusiasm for volunteering during lockdown has increased the number of volunteers that MIH manages with Salesforce to over 200 and they have been able to manage this scale up successfully.
- They have seen an improved management of day to day activities tracking outputs and outcomes reporting. The improved data intelligence has resulted in more successful funding applications
- The brand support app is tracking over £75,000 worth of donated product
- Made in Hackney feel they have a solid platform to allow for growth of paid for services
Improve your Volunteer and Programme Management
Interested in a similar project? Get started today